Monday, October 29, 2007

Whirlwind weekend

What a weekend it was too. Friday night after the gamers left our place, I promptly went to bed knowing that 7 am would come all too early. I was right! As the sound of my lovely alarm clock went off, I lay there thinking, "Why am I getting up at this hour on a Saturday?!?". Then it sank in, I am getting up at the butt crack of dawn (this time of year anyway) to go work out. Yes, working out at 7:30 am on a Saturday. Jealous aren't you? Feeling groggy I managed to get dressed, pick up my work out buddy Denise and hit the gym. I should have realized that while I was trying to walk on the treadmill like a trained gerbil, that my staggering around might be a sign that I was coming down with something. I forged on through a 40 minute walk and a 15 minute bike ride.

The work out was to justify the next part in our Saturday plans which was homemade cinnamon rolls with a group of Googlers prior to our trip to the Fruit Loop to visit orchards during the Heirloom Apple celebration. Our hosts for this sugary goodness of breakfast were wonderful and I thank you so much Aim & Skippy! We all loved those sticky, gooey, buns of sugary, frosting happiness. I took some of my homemade sugar free applesauce, Steph made these yummy potatoes, there was fruit, juice, milk, and coffee. It was a lovely breakfast for the 15 of us who got up that early to eat it.


Heirloom Apple DaysOct 2007


After the food filled our bellies and likely added a pound or two to our thighs, hips, bellies, or elsewhere, we headed off in a caravan of 4 cars filled with 8 adults and 4 children. At the first stop the kids each got a free pieced of fruit,went on a tractor ride through the orchard, pressed some cider, and learned that an heirloom apple is a variety of apple that is 100 years old or older. You don't' see these in stores much and the orchards are trying to preserve them, because once they are gone, there is no bringing them back. We lost one carload before continuing on as the self proclaimed "Nap Nazi" had to get back to put their little one down for the mid day nap, which I heard didn't go so well... something about all the sugar and excitement? Huh, odd that something like that would affect a small child. hehe

Next stop was more apples and pears with a petting zoo thrown in. There was this crazy looking goat who had 2 sets of horns. He was scary. Ame got a leg of lamb there, I would have NO clue how to prepare lamb. I have only had it one time that I remember liking it. She better be letting me know when she makes that thing, as I am sooo crashing her place for leg of lamb dinner! After admiring the gorgeous mountain view (Mt. Hood), petting the pigs and goats, buying our fruit, jams, and leg of lamb, it was time to head on to the next stop. We lost yet another Carload to nap time. Ya know, I am going to have to start looking into this nap time thing. I am thinking it sounds like a great idea!

We drive some more through the valley with views of both Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams, it was a beautiful sunny day with that slight chill in the air that reminds me snow is just around the corner. The next orchard was having a fun German Edelweiss celebration. They had brats, sauerkraut, potatoes w/ apples, fresh cider... it was delicious! Once our bellies were full, yet again, it was off to Packers for big ass cookies a bit of pie or ice cream and then home.

It was a long day, but the day wasn't even half over as we still had a Halloween party to go to that night. Ya know what sucks about losing your job in October? Not having enough money to properly celebrate Halloween as it is my favorite holiday. After my busy day I had needed a nap and we woke up in time to go to the party but unable to find a last minute costume idea.

*sigh* I am getting old. There was a day when I would be able to not have needed a nap, then found something to make a costume out of and gone onto the party and been there until the wee hours of the morning. What happened to those days? I want them back! I hate this feeling old crap, it was around 9:30, yes that is pm, not am the following day, that I looked at Matt and said, "Are you ready (to go)?". It wasn't even 10:30 by the time we said out goodbyes and hit the road back home. I want my youth back damnit!

Sunday I crashed hard. Woke up somewhere around 11:30, had a screaming headache, trying to fend off a migraine. It wasn't pretty. M and I spent some quality bonding time (as in our asses bonding to the couch) together. We caught up on all those tv shows we love. It is great having several episodes to watch all at one time. So we have now caught up on Bones, House, and Criminal Minds. I can't wait to see Heroes tonight, love that show.

Peace out for now and enjoy the pics!

1 comment:

Freckledmama said...

So glad that you enjoyed our sinful breakfast! Thanks for taking all of the great pics on Saturday!