Monday, November 26, 2007

Post turkey day thoughts

Gobble, gobble....

It seems the big stuff your face until you can't eat anymore holiday has come and gone without a hitch. First off, I went to my parents last week, yeah, they convinced me to go. The timing of my trip couldn't have been worse. The weather up until last week had been beautiful. Of course the day I decide to go it was nice, but after 5 hours of driving it was nearly dark by the time I got there. So, I wake up friday morning to lovely rain. Now this isn't just little raindrops, or mist.. but full on downpour. It rained for 4 days straight. I felt so caged up. Couldn't really go for a walk, go to the beach, fishing, or anything else. While it was nice visiting my parents, bless their hearts, it sucked not being able to really enjoy being there. On the other hand, with all the spare time, my mom and I made cards. She has really gotten into that so she and I sat around 1 day and made some fun stuff.

I left on monday after spending 5 days there. The weather cleared up and has been sunny and dry since I left. Figures.... that's the kind of luck I have. This is the second year in a row that I have gone to go salmon fishing and the weather kept me from doing it. Ahh yes, this is why I love Oregon so much. ARG!

Moving on to last week, one of the local stores had this fab coupon, that if you bought over $100 in groceries you got a free 20lb turkey. Pretty sweet deal I thought. I ended up spending twice that amount, but eh, we need food right?! hehe

The turkey day plans went something like this: A group of 10 or so of us in town were getting together. Each one making a couple of different dishes. The problem was that the family in charge of the turkey, potatoes, and stuffing were ALL sick. Good thing I had that turkey! So, I left it out to thaw only to confirm the next day that the sickies were going to be able to make it after all. Thank goodness! Both for them being well and able to cook the yummy food!

I made a couple of desserts, green bean casserole, snacks. We had more food than could feed an army. Literally... not to mention that 2 days later I had to make my turkey since it had thawed out. I will be eating turkey for quite some time to come. That's ok, I love me leftover turkey!

How was everyone else's holiday? Oh, and Washu got Rock Band. Great game! Basically it is guitar hero but better. Up to 4 people can play, drums, vocals, bass, and guitar. I have to say thanks to Washu for letting us invade his home for turkey day and over the weekend to play. Good times!

In the end, I have to give thanks (not to be cheesy) for good friends, great family, and killer food. I really have to thank my parents for everything they have done the last couple of years. M for all he is doing for me now, and my friends for doing that thing they do. In reflection I also have to thank all those soldiers who are out there fighting, putting their lives on the line every day. They dont' get enough thanks or praise. They need to know that those of us here in our cosey homes with our friends and family on the holidays, are thinking of them, hoping they in turn get to come home and be with their families.

-Peace!

No comments: